Monday, September 7, 2009

Summits, Superheros and Sunshine

Man! I don't even know where to start. August is gone and there is still so much of a story to tell. The month started with Sheldon dragging me to this location in Portland.
He wanted to help set a Guinness Book of Record. So we dusted off our straight needles and grabbed some non-sock yarn, YES, that was a challenge around here. We did not hurt ourselves with the straight needle sticks, and we DID help break the record of knitters knitting consecutively for 10 minutes. Cool, eh?
As you may have guessed we were at Sock Summit. Sheldon dove right into the yarn.

He was happy to not be a cow, Milk yarn. What will they think of next? Turtle shell yarn? Or is that Chitin in the Tofutsies yarn? (Just kidding Sheldon, Chitin is shrimp & Crab shell.) We looked at many beautiful yarn and kept the purchases to a minimal level.

Although we kind of broke the one skein budget.

And had to sell my mountaineering tent the following week. Hey... wait.. look on the bright side, without the tent I will stay home a little more and get more knitting done, right? Beside I only bought about a years supply of sock yarn.

It was cool that there were ball winders at the Summit. Sheldon wanted to take a spin on this one but instead settled on just rolling in their baskets of fiber.

We eventually jumped a train away from the piles of sock yarn and went to meet famous people like.....BOB!
How cool was it? Sheldon really liked meeting Bob and thought he was really awesome. The party Bob threw was really amazing, complete with gift bags. Next meet-up, Sheldon is mandating hand knit socks to hang with the big dogs. :( Work is never done for Sockergirl, unless Sheldon learns to knit.

To work off the sock yarn high, Sheldon and I took a bike ride with about 10,000 others.

Are we supposed to on the freeway? Did we take a wrong turn?

Really? Its gone? NO regrets, right? Fair trade? hmmm...
.....just quit thinking about it...
After that weekend the Sunshine cleared. Cookie A. Rocks! She signed my book and touched this pair. What a cool gal! Should I ever wash these socks?
You fans might have thought I was under the weather only knitting one pair of socks for August. You were RIGHT! It was not the swine flu but almost as deadly, Acyrlicitis. The disease causes a person to knit large non-wool item for future superheros.

This project started with 14 stitches and ended with 728 stitches. By row 100 I had about 500 stitches on the needles, and I kept thinking about how that would equal 9 rows on a sock. Then each color change should have been half a sock. A crochet hooks was even to used to add the webbing. Can you see how painful this red heart blanket was for me? I am telling you this superhero better take this item off to college in 18 years!
For now Sheldon enjoys the web, pretending to be a superturtle and I hope you fans all over the world do too! Let's hope September brings us three pairs of completed socks and some.

3 comments:

Melanie said...

You finished the blanket! AWESOME!
Seeing your progress at knit night last week inspired me to get going on mine..I can't believe I got suckered into making two of them,lol.
I finally finished my sunshine socks and started my Devons. I wonder if I will ever get a pair done in time for the KAL. IT seems I am always a few days late. Oh well.

Anonymous said...

Way cool, you are indeed Super SockerGirl. Gotta tell me more about the biking event . . . Will Sheldon take up his own wheels next?

Kim said...

Way cool, you are indeed Super SockerGirl. Gotta tell me more about the biking event . . . Will Sheldon take up his own wheels next?