Sunday, August 26, 2007

Citrus fun

As you know the day started with just this:


But then my "partner in crime/yarn enabler" knit-wise cracker invited me over to dye yarn. She bribed me with green Kool-aid. That caused me to grab my ball winder, always ready knit kit and fresh knit pick skien to make into a citrus medley.

After I got to her house I found I was bribed without there actually being green Kool-aid. oohh.. not so kool!

So we jumped into my socker-mobile and ran to the store to find green lemon lime kool-aid. What is wrong with stores carrying only tropical punch red kool-aid? Don't they know there are desperate yarn dyers in the world? FOUR stores later I had my green kool-aid, some blues, purples and you get the picture. We now had so many colors it was hard to pick our "yarn-to-be" colors.

Knit-wise went first and made a beautiful green blue skien. Check her blog to see "Emerald City." Rasberry Ice and Blueberry with Lemon Lime and Lemon. We followed Knitty.com rules of 4 packets per 100 grams. In the end we decided if you want a better defined color use more packets. A nice washed out tint of color is the 4 packet rule. Just depends on what look you want. Sure her yarn did smell as good as it looks!

Then it was my turn to have a try. I washed my yarn. Then selected orange, lemon and 3 lemon lime Kool-aids to make "Citrus Medley". Those were my three colors to get multiple shades. If I had more Martha Stuart cooking bowls I would have made more colors. Here are just a few colors I worked into the yarn.


I was able to make multiple shades of greens, olive and then some interesting orange orange-yellow browns. What fun!!! If I had more yarn and Kool-aid, knit-wise would have sicked her dog on me around 10pm. Here is what ended up boiling.


And here is what I was sent home with to dry. What do you think? "Citrus Medley"

3 comments:

Shannan said...

Your yarn looks great!

Knitwise Cracker said...

That was SOOOOOOOOO much fun!! I knew that I couldn't bribe you with dark chocolate, so I had to pretend there was green at my house.......I wanted a ride in the soccer-mobile!!

Knitwise Cracker said...

By the way.......I forgot to tell you that I LOVE the Gems yarn you bought. You forgot to tell me about that. And I was wondering if you figured out how to get an e-mail notice telling you someone left a message on your blog?? I was going to show you how to do that.............