Sunday, September 2, 2007

KIlled by knitting neglect?

Well, to my surprise not yet. I just can't keep a plant alive, and yet people (friends and family) try to make me a better plant mother by giving me "easy to care for" plants. The cactus, it was fatal. The poor thing was instantly killed as I tried too hard to love it. Yes, perhaps I tried to give it too much water. oh, the poor thing...

Then my dear friend Fionna moved east and gave me her Christmas tree, ok it was a Christmas Palm tree. It was ok until the first Christmas, still hanging in there for the second one, then the third Christmas... it appears to have no more leaves. I did not give up on him. I kept watering and pretending it was alive. Then one day little sprout Palm-y came up out of the planter. oh My!! how exciting was that? So I tried a new approach with the little guy. Neglect. It seems to be working ok. see here is a picture of dead man palm and little palm-y. But will he make it through winter?

The next victim is a really cool plant. Well, it was really cool until it was terrorized by sockergirl. I may have loved it too much, again. drowning and lack of sunshine. Typical NW problem, even inside sockergirl's cave. I keep picking otu the dead parts and pieces hoping something living will pop up. Today I found flowers in the pot!! how exciting is that???? WOW amazing. it has lived 9 months with me, take a look at its potential.

Now the last prisoner, he has done well for me. I think it is a rubber plant. NO it is not FAKE! It might be a rubber tree thing, I'm sure it has a name. It keeps turning different colors on me. Reds to browns after water sometimes back to green... very puzzling. This color change thing scares me and then I throw water on it and worry that it has drown. He seems to be doing ok, today.

Ok. Do you see the moral of the story here? There are reasons why I collect yarn NOT plants and kids. Please don't torture me with either kids or plants.

No comments: